livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:08:00 -0500

Art, no one in my community will ever starve as long as I live here because I can teach them to wildcraft and grow food in the worst of conditions.

My gr-gr-grandmother (who lived with me until I was 8) was considered by her husband's family as not up to snuff. She wasn't white; they were. During the depression she shared everything she had with them, feeding all of them from her farm. When the economy could support business owners and doctors again, they went back to considering her to be less of a person than they were but during the depression she was their main source of support and lucky they were that her traditions of hospitality, family and generosity were ingrained in her. I think in the long run she came out ahead.

But I can agree with one thing you say. Part of why I don't leave and buy myself a farm instead of hanging on to this place of no soil and little sun is that I am learning how to grow food in the most marginal of spaces under very difficult circumstances and in a nearly entirely sustainable way. My experiences might just help a whole lot of people eventually.

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins