livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] with ownership comes responsibility/ commune way of living

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] with ownership comes responsibility/ commune way of living
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:53:26 -0600

Maybe you're thinking of the sense of place, the connection to the land. I
can agree in part. Sure, you can care about the earth and places and things
far beyond what you personally own.

Now I'm not talking about ownership in the legal, abstract sense, like
absentee ownership. I've been referring to people - families- living and
working on the land they own. The thing I'm talking about isn't a
sentimental thing but actual dependence on the land. When people need their
land to survive, and their children and grandchildren know they'll need it,
then they know they have to take care of it. And boy are we going to need
it.

Look at corporate agriculture around the country; most of the large grain
operations and lots of livestock operations are run by accountants. If it
doesn't produce, then the bottom line wins out. Squeeze all you can get out
of the land and get rid of it.

Once upon a time we had a moving frontier where farmers could repeatedly
wear out their land and move west to break new sod and start over. In
studying frontier history I was introduced to Turner's Thesis, the
influence of the frontier in American culture. So we're a throwaway
society. There's always more where that came from.

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/text/civ/turner.html
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~Hyper/TURNER/

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry