livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:16:35 -0600

Agree the economic signs aren't looking good. But you bring up a point I
want to focus on, far too many people are in difficult situations already,
and setbacks like yours can happen to almost anybody. For many, cheap
places to live and produce some of our own food are the only way to keep
our heads above water. Those of us who are more fortunate shouldn't need
national disasters to spur us to think outside the box. What you saw in
Italy tells us we can do more than we think. We don't have serious problems
with food prices or shortages yet, but the storm clouds are coming.

Home growing and farmers markets are multiplying nationwide
http://www.localharvest.org/ but the skills and practical knowledge to grow
are almost lost, two generations after the Victory Gardens of WW II. No
doubt more people would try their hand at growing food but don't know how.
We've been soaked in chemical-think so long we've forgotten the simple
basics that work. Those who remember or can relearn how will be in great
demand as teachers. Even the disabled may find lucrative work passing on
the knowledge.

Try this. Go in any big bookstore and ask them for the self sufficiency
section. They'll look at you with that big blank stare and stammer
something about not knowing what you're asking for. I'm telling you,
skills and practical knowledge are going to be in demand, big time.

Like Steve and others, my partner and I are far from being self sufficient
(though she has the immigrant parents' knowledge and skills from Italy),
and we had to relocate and start over developing a local network of regular
customers for produce and people we can work and swap skills and goods
with. Once again we have to develop that community within the community.
That's what we all need as local growers. Seek out those who already
believe in the value of fresh, home grown food, those who want to learn
food preserving to eat out of season, those who have practical skills to
trade, and so forth.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net