livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "art corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Steve Diver" <steved@ipa.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:34:56 -0500

I Steve,

I was set up pretty good until I lost my wife a year ago last March. She was
the money maker in our family (Registered Nurse with 38 years on the same
job). I very quickly lost about every thing we had. I have been very badly
disabled for several years and I could not pay for our home on what little
SS I draw. I am in the process now of trying to get set back up but it is
going to take me a while. I bought a cheap mobile home to get me by until I
can do better. It's in a small park so I don't have mush room to work with
either. I do have a small garden but there are so many large trees close I
only have a small spot that gets about 5 hours of sun a day.

There are several things that could happen that would bring this nation to
it's knees and it could happen at any minute. The one thing I fear most is
loosing our electricity. It would be real easy to knock out a few control
centers in our electric grids and put most of this nation in the dark. It
would not have to be terrorist that did it either. Another thing I am
concerned with is our economy in general. Right now people are pouring every
dollar they can into real estate and the interest rate is starting to climb.
If the interest rate goes very high people will start dumping this real
estate right back in the laps of the banks and loan companies. This alone
could be enough to bring our economy down.

This increase in gasoline and fuel prices is a very dangerous move too at
this time. One way or the other this will increase the price of everything
you and I have to buy. The trucking industry will have no choice but raise
their charges and when they do we will be the ones that pay that increase
one way or the other. This will also cause a bunch of greedy people to also
raise their prices not because they need to but just because the want to
make more profit. This has already started.

We also have something else built into our economy that most people don't
consider. Way too much of our economy is being supported by the sale of junk
items that you and I want but really don't have to have. As this gap closes
you and I are going to be forced to cut back on these junk item. We will
simply be in a position where we can no longer afford them and still buy the
things we must have. This will put a strain on everything and if it is bad
enough our entire economy will collapse.

When you can go down and pump $50 in gasoline into your car or pickup and it
still not be completely full we have some very serious problems. In my part
of the world most people simply drive too far to work and back and they will
not be able to afford it. This will mean they will either move closer to
their jobs or get a job closer to home. Either way this will cost a lot of
extra money that we don't need to be spending right now. Look for a sharp
increase in unemployment in the next year. This will put even more strain on
our economy.

We have a lot of very serious problems that most people don't even think
about. I also believe it is very possible that something will happen in this
country that will give George Bush the legal right to declare Martial Law.
If this should happen then that will be the straw that breaks the camels
back. I hope this doesn't happen but I will feel a lot better when the next
election is in the history books and Bush is out of office.

Art