livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Black Soldier Fly: was: Maggots for poultry feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Daron Page <dagwood008@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Black Soldier Fly: was: Maggots for poultry feed
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:54:33 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 13
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:00:34 +0000
From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Livingontheland] Maggots for poultry feed
To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

take a look at this it is a simular process, but the BSF is
not a pest like the house fly
http://tinyurl.com/9jzww

> Aliza
> who is looking in to making one of those maggot buckets for feeding
broilers
> this late summer."

Right on, Aliza! The info on the subject on my website at the moment is
minimal, but I will be writing an article on producing more of the
homestead's poultry feed for the next issue of Backyard Poultry. I
could
post the section updating the maggot-breeding experiment, though, as
soon as the article is finished.

Last year was the experimental trial run. This year the system is
really
cranking: I have 5 buckets going most of the time. A buddy of mine who
is a trapper supplies me with "primary ingredient"--I honestly have
lost
count of the number of 30-35 pound beavers that have already been
cycled thru the buckets already this fly season. That's a *lot* of free
protein. And, after working out the kinks last year, odor has been
minimal, "processing" time amazingly fast.

More later.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

Soon to be Texas E-Shiper
S.E. of Dallas,mild winters,(long)hot and humid summers
Daron

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [Livingontheland] Black Soldier Fly: was: Maggots for poultry feed, Daron Page, 07/19/2006