livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:33:18 -0600

We were counting on finally meeting Carla Oct. 10 at a hole in the road
called Datil, NM near us. It was cancelled and she passed the next day. We
were stunned. Can someone ever can take her place? We realized it will take
a lot of someones, and that's what we hope to encourage locally and through
this list in coming days. We see folks posting right here who, whether
they realize it or not, are going to be in great demand as teachers
demonstrating how to get groceries from the ground (what a concept ... ).
And this is tremendously encouraging to us.

Steve, you made the point it takes a lot of $$$ to get set up for off-grid
living. And We're fixed income here, some of those ordinary folks who can't
afford all the "appropriate technology" to go off-grid. So here's our
challenge: how best to go off-grid with home and market garden. And, how
far off-grid. Again, I expect gradual decline with prices of everything
becoming less and less affordable.

We'll need to use the utilities to get set up while it's still affordable.
Electricity for irrigation, private well on one acre. Buy Portland for soil
cement for raised bed walls (my back isn't going to cooperate for bending
much longer). For the garden and greenhouse (yet to be rebuilt) we still
have to set up rainwater collection and in ground storage (more soil
cement). And we'll need the most moisture-retentive growing soil we can
make, to reduce irrigation - compost, humus, mycorrhizae-forming cover
crops. And need to make the best possible use of cover crops in soil
building and weed control, as you pointed out. There's a brush chipping
operation near us for loads of free mulch, so no-till is a no-brainer here.

This area was thriving years ago producing flour, beans, and other staples
and had a railroad line to ship them out. No more. Just as well, we'll need
to consume what we can produce right here. The old pickup burns too much
gas getting to the farmers markets.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net