livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Living on the Land" in hard core perspective
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:12:03 -0600

Certainly. The storage I'm planning is not for drinking, though it could of
course be filtered and purified. I've experimented with soil cement and the
general ratio is one part Portland to ten parts soil. With clay the ratio
goes higher. I've found a three-inch slab is close to concrete, and an
eight-inch wall is practically indestructible (and immovable!) and doesn't
soften or crumble in rain, far as I can tell. Haven't tried ferrocement
because soil cement seems a lot less work. A cylindrical soil cement wall
and floor four feet deep would be coated with sealer and should hold water
loss to a bare minimum. Covered air tight of course. In ground seems
simpler than above ground, unless we need gravity for water flow. It just
seems a shame to let the greenhouse and house runoff go to waste, esp where
you don't have growing space near the house and need to save garden water
for months at a time to get through dry spells.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net