livingontheland - [Livingontheland] soil test and compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] soil test and compost
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Livingonthelanders,

In the early 80s I did a soil test and the ph was 8.2.  That was the main reason.  Three years later is was 7.2.  Bingo.  All I did was add organic matter.

I decided that I would copy nature and think low-tech; not high tech.  It has worked.  No more soil testing, etc.

 When we had the demonstration garden, the county agent and bug man said that we had the best garden among the 12-15 there.  We had one [blue weed?] of the 12 worst weeds in the USA.  Our garden had almost none after the first year.  All the others were covered up with them.  They had to hoe every week for a long time to try and control them and other weeds.

Roland Bunch wrote an article about how, in many soils, the lack of phosphorus is eternal.  Yet, those farmers practicing organic, no-till never have a problem.  His conclusion is that there is sufficient phosphorus in the organic matter which is released as the crop needs it and problem is solved.

Do not buy anything, from anybody for the garden or farm.  I buy seed.

Free organic matter is available everywhere.  Or grow it and leave on top of the soil.

Most stores will not put up a flyer for my workshops which states "organic, no-till in permanent beds".  I sell nothing; just put out knowledge.

All this is so simple.  The science behind it is extremely complicated but who cares.  Just make sure you help nature and the soil produces.  Why and how is not important.  Just add organic matter and produce and produce.

Ken Hargesheimer

Go to: http://bibledvd.googlepages.com/home and www.nabuur.com

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [Livingontheland] soil test and compost, Ken Hargesheimer, 06/23/2006