livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How do you figure what your labor is worth?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How do you figure what your labor is worth?
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 00:33:32 -0400

I don't think I attempt to do this unless I'm trying to justify not doing something.

However, this topic seems to have varying semantics and dimensions, and there is one dimension I don't see that could use mentioning. Not to make things more complicated, but, there are health benefits and risks to certain kinds of labor. Hard work that involves aerobic excercise may over the course of a person's lifetime reduce health costs substantially, such as expensive cardiac prescriptions or hospitalizations. However, it may wear on the joints, necessitating joint replacements earlier in life, or expose a person to diseases nonfarmers would not be exposed to. If one is going to figure the value of their labor, it is going to get more complicated than doing taxes. They are going to have to figure in depreciation or investment into the human body.

Gwen