labruscagrape - [OFEX] The best grape

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "joe calico" <jcalico@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] The best grape
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:47:34 -0500

Bert, I’m a newbie to grapes.  I’m in Mississauga and have two grapes, both  planted this year.  One, a white, came from you, I understand, via Joe Boles (Coronation).  The second variety is a de Chaunac.  Anyway, I don’t have much room but would like to plant two more varieties.  Question: Of all the varieties you carry, if you had to pick the best white and the best red/black table grape what would the varieties be?  Keep in mind that I dislike the taste and fragrance of the old Concord varieties.  Thus I’m looking for something along the vinifera, French hybrid line similar to what we can buy in a typical grocery store.

Joe Calico