labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Wal-mart Wine

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@hotmail.com>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Wal-mart Wine
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:37:20 +0000

Taxes - Taxes - Taxes

I rarely buy the commercial stuff unless I am taking a bottle as a gift, and ever since the French exploded a few nuclear devices in the Pacific in the early 90's I have refused to but any French liquid.

New Hampshire was great. No taxes and reasonably good inexpensive California wines (and spirits too). This must be the only state that advertises its liquor shops on the freeway!

I too make my own wine with juice from California and Chile. It works out to be about $2.25/liter. There is a new process for juice from Santa Clara; it comes unpastuerized and with no preservatives in a tough metallic bag. About $2.75/liter but superior to the cheaper stuff. I only drink Cab Sauv because of the high anti-oxident rating, double other reds. Of course, its strictly medicinal!!!!

In the late 60's, we would 'come alive on a dollar five', Old Sailor or EMU were often voiced - but I never really tried them. In the early 70's, I was imbibing in the real thing - Asti Spumonte - while in Venice (chorale tour) for just about a dollar. The corks would fly about a hundred feet in the air when we popped them out the washroom window (catholic residence!).

jmb