labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] The best grape

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] The best grape
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:08:07 -0500

Good morning Joe
Firstly I'd like to explode the myths about my wine making skills spread erroneously by our buddy Tom O. I am very unorthodox when it comes to winemaking. Ask Helga. Kidding aside be glad to answer any questions within my limited knowledge.
Tom's e-mail included many good steps for a newbie in equipment, methods which any would-be should retain.
If you want wine grapes consider Vidal Baco Noir for red or Seyval Blanc for white. Choosing the 'best' grape for you is like choosing your home/your car/ your spouse.
As far as recommending a "typical grocery store" variety- we can't grow those large, sweet, juicy, tasteless varieties we see there. They come from Chile or Italy or California getting much warmer weather. If you were able to get these plants for your garden, they'd be toes up the next spring.
 At maturity (5 years) vines produce about 13 lbs of fruit each, a little more, a little less depending on weather, insects, birds and worst of all raccoons.  Frankly you'll not get a heck of a lot of wine from, say 13 lbs- perhaps 4 of 26ers ( or 4 of 5ths- American talk for Tom).   :-))
One thing Tom did not mention was his great press made out of scrounged material and a few dollars to his local hardware store. I have a copy in one of my computer folders but can't figure out on how to forward it (my computer incompetency). Perhaps Tom, you could resend to OFEX.
Reading e-mails on grape juice source, I shall bare my soul. As I was going on a Rhine/Mosel cruise, I had to offer my grapes to those I felt would be interested. Tom, you said not this year. Anyway I could not make wine so... I buy a concentrate package from Costco- 23 liters each of 4 varieties of grapes--cost $60. Tom, knows I'm frugal as well as a scrounger. It is not Chateau of whatever- just vin de pays.
Consider fruit wines as Tom said. Just had a bottle of Apricot- very good- also try rhubarb- ask you neighbours who do not pick it- look over the fences. Currant wine, Mead, apple wine and many others-- all good stuff.
That's all folks!!   Off to the big smoke.                Cheers             Bert

Bert Dunn  Box 352 Schomberg    LOG1T0     1-905-880-4453

Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 8:47 PM
Subject: [OFEX] The best grape
Bert, I’m a newbie to grapes.  I’m in Mississauga and have two grapes, both  planted this year.  One, a white, came from you, I understand, via Joe Boles (Coronation).  The second variety is a de Chaunac.  Anyway, I don’t have much room but would like to plant two more varieties.  Question: Of all the varieties you carry, if you had to pick the best white and the best red/black table grape what would the varieties be?  Keep in mind that I dislike the taste and fragrance of the old Concord varieties.  Thus I’m looking for something along the vinifera, French hybrid line similar to what we can buy in a typical grocery store.            Joe Calico