internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:50:16 +1100

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com> wrote:
As for applications, I'd like to see a more native application that
interfaces with my company email, similar to the way my Blackberry does,
or the Windows Mobile devices can do. (Company uses MS Exchange.) Yes,
you can check Outlook Web Access through the browser, but it's a bit
clunky, and from what I've seen, the IMAP access is slow especially
without HSDPA. But I don't have a lot of experience using one.

Isn't that exactly what they announced last week? Apple has licensed
ActiveSync from MS and the native calendar/e-mail/contacts programs
in the iPhone will work directly with the Exchange server (when iPhone
2.0 comes out in June).

Sorry, I had missed that announcement. That sounds handy for those of us stuck in Windows shops. (Note: I work on Linux servers all day, I haven't sold out, just the corporate IT department uses Windows. One step at a time. *grin*)

Regarding WiFi, that is almost useless in Australia, there is no such thing as a free public WiFi connection*. Sorry, I forgot how ubiquitous that's becoming in the States.

--Jeremy

* all ISPs have bandwidth metering - download limits which are relatively low - e.g. 2 to 4 GB for low-end consumer plans, maybe 30-40 GB for premium plans costing $100/month. The biggest suckiness of Australia is expensive Internet. Bulk bandwidth that ISPs buy is 70 (yes *seventy*) times more expensive than in the US. This means that no cafes or gas stations or whatever would dream of setting up a public connection.