internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ilan Volow <listboy AT clarux.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:40:18 -0500

I'm more in a state of disbelief right now. I had to leave NC two years ago because job opportunities for us Cocoa/Mac developers were pretty much non-existent. and saying you were one pretty much instantly lost you the attention and respect of whatever HR person or headhunter you talked to. If Cocoa developers get some professional validation and a whole bunch of really awesome, decent-paying jobs coming their way, that would kick ass.

What am I going to do with the SDK? I work on a Cocoa-based ERP for my day job, so on-the-clock I'm going to be doing a lot of work porting of the PostgreSQL client libraries and my Cocoa PostgreSQL toolkit to the iPhone, along with a lightweight version of our rich client interface that's more suited to small screens. My boss' whole reason for getting an iPhone was originally so we could write apps for it, and then that plan was shelved when the whole "No SDK" thing was announced. Now we're getting back to where we started from.

Off the clock, I'd like to write applications that would allow people to get information about different historical landmarks in a way that bridges the past and present (then and now photos, that sorta thing), or the expense tracker I've always dreamed of, or a mobile version of the Shakespeare reader software I wrote several years back. Of course, none of these things have any commercial value, and I'm more interested in using the iPhone as a way to supplement my income at the moment. I'd guess that some kind of social networking software might be more profitable if somebody big would pick it up.

-- Ilan