internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:27:04 -0400

On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

The biggest downside here has been lack of 3G/HSDPA support in the
iPhone, but that is expected to change with the next major "release"
(which possibly will correspond with the launch in Australia).

I assume you mean hardware here, since there's no 3G support at the hardware level. I wouldn't mind 3G support, but wouldn't sacrifice a minute of battery time for it, which seems to be impossible at this point. I recently took a long car trip to West Virginia, not exactly a tech. hub, and EDGE worked fine until we got out into the mountains, and it seemed like every gas station had WiFI. For everyday use, there's WiFi everywhere.

Are people in the US that scared of AT&T and/or the DMCA that they
aren't unlocking the phones to any kind of widespread level?

For me its just easier to use the approved carrier, as I don't particularly care since the major ones cover 99.9% of the places I go.

As for applications, I'd like to see a more native application that
interfaces with my company email, similar to the way my Blackberry does,
or the Windows Mobile devices can do. (Company uses MS Exchange.)

MS Exchange support for mail and calendars has been promised for June.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=534

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC | 919-619-0607
michael -at- czeiszperger.org