internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT river2sea.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What's Your Idea for an iPhone Application?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:38:09 -0500

I'm shocked, *shocked*, I tell you that there has not been one fanboy
raving slathering statement today on this list about the Apple iPhone
SDK.

Fanboy Rowland, present and accounted for, Sir!

On the ranting/slavering, here we go:

Looks like Apple has done a hellacious job - XCode is ready to go, full IDE with debugging, includes mac-based simulator, Cocoa/iPhone widgets, lot's of Cocoa framework goodness including Core Services and I believe Core Animation(?), and a new one I think for Audio. The Mac can record a user session from the iphone and play it back - great for building up test cases. I would prefer to program in python - which has great support on the Mac version of OS X, but it looks like the current SDK is Objective-C only, so I'll just have to suck it up and learn it. In addition to the development tools Apple has produced about a dozen videos for learning iPhone development and the Cocoa frameworks - they are all free via iTunes. A nice touch I have to say.

So we'll skip that part and I'll ask. Not counting the ramp up +
trade off of the time involved or skills, if you could built it what's
your crazy idea for an iPhone app?

I have several ideas i've been mulling over for the past few months, but they are all intended to earn money while I sleep, so if I tell you I'll have to kill you :) Or at least render you a vegetable.

-Rowland

"The Dude abides."

- The Dude,
The Big Lebowski