internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Thoughts on HDTV Systems

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Thoughts on HDTV Systems
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 08:43:50 -0500

FYI, you don't need cable or satellite to HDTV to receive digital TV. It is broadcast over the air.

It is free.

All you need is a tuner box, like the Hughes HTL-HD (available from eBay for about $50). It is a DirecTV tuner, but it is also a ATSC (digital TV) tuner, NTSC (analog) tuner and a cable tuner. The box will work without a DirecTV access card or dish. It has component, composite, S-video, DVI and VGA outputs.

See this O'Reilly Media article :

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2004/10/14/digital_tv.html

Digital TV is a significant improvement on analog cable, even when used on older TV sets. You don't need HDTV to get digital TV.

All I need is a new antenna and I'll be "TimeWarner free"...

--tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org