internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Thoughts on HDTV Systems

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Thoughts on HDTV Systems
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:53:03 -0500

Well it does work fine though the surge protector/power conditioner. It was clear to me that I knew more than the TWC guy about the equipment even though I knew very little.

Tom Caswell wrote:
I think Time Warner says no surge protector because they're worried about the
loss of signal. Digital reception can get flakey if it drops below a
threshhold and they're probably thinking a surge protector could do it. We
had an issue in our neighborhood where I could decode the digital signals in
standard cable fine through a surge protector when there were only two houses
on the neighborhood feed. As more houses were built and cable turned on, I
called and complained because I could no longer get the channels. Turns out
the surge protector was the issue.
Disclaimers - We have a good Tripplite surge protector. I'm not suggesting Time Warner has a valid excuse.

Scott Lundgren <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com> wrote:
> If you haven't purchased a TV in awhile...Circuit City, for instance,
will subcontract someone to set it up for you. Unfortunately,
scheduling that and Time Warner is a pain because Time Warner will screw
everything up and be rude to you then insist that you can't have the
cable go through the surge protector (you can) -- unfortunately you have
to let them hook it up to program it (their DVR/etc is about as free as
in freedom as an internment camp). I cannot remember the name of the
company CC used -- however having them out to bring you up to speed may
be worth it (it was for me, my geek bravado was wounded by the massive
amount/types of cables -- now I even know the difference between an
optical cable and HDMI ;-) ).

That company was likely FireDog I see their logo everywhere at CC:

http://www.firedog.com/

- SL
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/