internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] not about 9/11, conspiracies, or Freedom

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] not about 9/11, conspiracies, or Freedom
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:05:58 -0400

I was impressed by the production quality of Loose Change.  I think it was created using Final Cut Studio on a powerbook.

On 9/22/06, burnett AT pobox.com <burnett AT pobox.com> wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, matusiak wrote:

> 1) I never stated that I believed wholeheartedly in every single data
> point exhibited in the "Loose Change" film, I only stated that it was
> the best movie of the year.  Had I mentioned that "Mission Impossible
> III" was the best movie of the year, I doubt you would be challenging
> me to go "chase down the facts" and prove everything that was
> displayed in that film.

Dave:

I believe that the first film you mention was presented as a documentary
and a work of non-fiction, and the the second film you mention was a work
of fiction. Different standards of truthiness apply to fiction and
non-fiction, in my view, and at least for me, the percentage of relevant
verifiable facts in a film shown as a documentary affects my opinion of
the quality of a documentary. Your bringing _Mission Impossible: III_ into
your response seems irrelevant to me.

For a parallel instance, the main point made by the judge in his ruling on
the plagiarism case between the (2 of the 3) authors of _Holy Blood, Holy
Grail_ and Dan Brown's _The Da Vinci Code_ was that Brown published his
novel as fiction, and the trio of Baigent, Lincoln and Leigh (1 of the 3
chose to not be involved, but I don't remember which one) published their
work as non-fiction. The judge's ruling fixed on the difference between
the two, fiction and non-, as the central basis for ruling in favor of
Brown.

I'm not commenting on the film _Loose Change_ itself, or on your other two
work for me, and this is why it doesn't.

later,
Steve B
---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/