internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] not about living in BFE

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] not about living in BFE
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:00:20 -0400

On Sep 21, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Why the heck are you living out there? House prices aren't quite that bad
around here yet.

Tanner,

Again, trying to be brief, but not curt, allow me to respond. The reason I had to move away from the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area is because, as a highly-skilled "knowledge worker," the University of North Carolina deems it fair to pay me less than the person standing at each end of roadway construction turning a "STOP/SLOW" sign all day long.

The skyrocketing cost of housing (and even rent) in my favored little burg combined with the stagnation of wages at Year 2000 levels produced a situation where I could not afford to live in Orange County any longer. So, the immediate (if ultimately foolish) decision was made to move to a cheaper place out in the country. Now, thanks to the greed of oil executives and the lack of regulation on that industry by our government, I pay over $300 per month in fuel costs to simply commute to work. Needless to say, this has not solved my low salary problem.

And, yes -- He's Not Here is still a Chapel Hill staple. The last things to survive in a nuclear war will probably be the cockroaches and He's Not Here. Respectfully, however, I posit that it probably "isn't your scene."

Best,
dave m.