internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] digital cameras

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bruce" <bruce AT synthesiscreative.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] digital cameras
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:21:36 -0500

David sounds like he's had similar experiences to mine.

I can tell you categorically that pros use more Canon Digitals than
anything else - their superiority started with the lenses (film cameras)
and moved into the technology of digital. The Canon XL1 Digital Video
camera is kicking butt as well in the pro market.

By pro market I'm referring to mostly Photo Journalists. Advertising
Pros use larger format cameras and wedding pros don't need quite the
fire power as that found around the neck of an imbedded war
photographer.

If I was going to spend $1000 on a new camera I would be sure it was at
least 4mp and probably [these days] expect 5 or 6 or more. However - mp
is NOT the be-all and do-all of digital decision making. There is pixel
depth too. The new Fuji S3 for example, stayed with their S2 resolution
but decided to increase pixel depth from 256 levels of gray (8 bit) to
thousands (16 bit). I believe this to be a good idea since Photoshop
now supports 16 bit and, from what I hear, it helps to solve that
annoying tone break in the highlights that has been a curse for digital
uses since the beginning.

Bruce DeBoer
Director of Marketing and Business Development
Synthesis
112 S. Blount St. Ste. 101
Raleigh, NC 27601
Main: 919-523-6385