internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:03:03 -0500

To give everyone some background:

I am looking for something that will be a suitable upgrade from my
Olympus D500L (circa 1998 it was a really nice camera, and it's still
very functional, if limited).

My father visited Rome over Thanksgiving (my younger brother was
ordained as a Catholic priest) and took some pictures with his Sony
DSC-707. OK, some pictures doesn't begin to describe it. He took
something like 1250 pictures. I saw most of them while visting over
the holidays. While many were just.. pictures, there were a good
number of them that were just absolutely stunning - mostly
architecture, nature, and texture shots. It definitely re-ignited an
interest I've always had in photography (I took a b&w developing class
in high school at a local community college) and so the circumstances
are right at this time for me to get a new camera. Or at least to
thoroughly research the current crop. I spent (back in '98) about 800
on the Olympus D500L, and it looks like for not a lot more I can get a
boatload more functionality and power and capability.

Do I need more than 3.2MP? Well, I don't know. But I have seen poster
prints made out of higher MP cameras and I see some appeal to that.
This area is just amazing for things like nature shots - I have some
(what I would call acceptable) pictures of various wildlife in this
area, but one issue I've had with the D500L is low light shooting is
nearly impossible (even with a flash the autofocus becomes an issue).
It will be nice to get something more capable in almost every
technical area, and then the only limit will be can I compose a
picture worth a damn? :-)

Lyman

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:44:12 -0500, Edward Wesolowski
<edwes AT idisplay.com> wrote:
> fyi: The photo (hard copy, Wednesday, November 10, 2004, & web image) with
> the N&O article
> http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1815451p-8122291c.html
> http://www.newsobserver.com/images/xtq_photos/2004-1/xtq_20041110-images/reg-712757-427912.jpg
> was made w/an Olympus C740, 3.2 mega pixel digital camera
> so was
> http://www.avvmmp.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=27835
> http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2004/Week_35/3zdx1giy/story/truck175.jpg
> I offer these as examples of 3.2 megapixels, (Is greater resolution
> needed?) altho I am lusting after the Nikon.
> Ed Wesolowski
>
> At 12:39 PM 2/8/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Lyman Green wrote:
> >>Anyone on the list have a Canon Digital Rebel or a Nikon D70? Looking
> >>for info on these digital SLR's from a real person (as opposed to a
> >>faceless internet reviewer).
> >
> >The Canon does well for a consumer most of the Pros I know are using the
> >D70. Especially since ALL the Nikon lenses work. Canon has changed their
> >mount a couple of times. I know of at least 3 pros in the area that are
> >using the D70 as their primary camera. I know of no pros using the Canon.
> >The prices on the D70 will most likely come down a little more in the next
> >couple of months as Nikon is getting ready to release the repalcement for
> >the D100.
> >
> >Scott H. Zekanis
> >zman AT kungfumonkey.com
> >http://www.rod-o-rama.com
> >http://www.thehellbenders.com
> >1957 Buick Riviera Hardtop (2 dr., 425" Nailhead)
> >1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
> >1990 Ducati 750 Sport
> >---
> >Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web
> >site! http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> >You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
> >To unsubscribe visit
> >http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers

". . . No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the
life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes
its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is
impossible. We live, as we dream--alone. . . ."