internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:04:53 -0500

I have a Canon 10D that I have shot about 5,000 images with, which is
similar. This was my first digital interchangeable lens SLR, and I am quite
happy with it. There are some flaws, which I am told the new 20D corrects.

In general, it is my impression that Canon has a technical edge over Nikon.
The Nikon bodies seem superior when compared to older Canon bodies, and when
the new Canon comes out, it blows away the Nikon, at least in the Pro
market.

On the subject of pros, most I know shoot Canon now. I am told the Pro Nikon
bodies don't hold up as well.

Anyway, when you move up to interchangeable lenses, you are buying into a
system. The lenses you buy should last through a few upgrade cycles of
camera bodies. I spent more on my primary lens (16-35mm f/2.8L) than I did
on the body, as I expect to be using it longer. These cameras are good
enough to capture imperfections in lower quality optics. The $100 kit lens
(from either brand) is just not going to be as good as a $500-$1,500 lens.
You get what you pay for from your optics.

Before investing in CF cards, check Rob Galbraith's CF Database:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

You will find that with cameras in this class, that the speed of the CF card
will come into play, and become the bottleneck in clearing your camera
buffer.

If you want to check out some cameras, I would recommend Southeastern
Camera, with locations in Cary, Carrboro, and Wilmington:

http://www.southeasterncamera.com/

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.544.0086 : http://www.designhammer.com