internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:22:49 -0500

On 2/8/05 12:39 PM, "zman" <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Lyman Green wrote:
>> Anyone on the list have a Canon Digital Rebel or a Nikon D70? Looking
>> for info on these digital SLR's from a real person (as opposed to a
>> faceless internet reviewer).
>
> The Canon does well for a consumer most of the Pros I know are using the
> D70. Especially since ALL the Nikon lenses work. Canon has changed their
> mount a couple of times. I know of at least 3 pros in the area that are
> using the D70 as their primary camera. I know of no pros using the Canon.
> The prices on the D70 will most likely come down a little more in the next
> couple of months as Nikon is getting ready to release the repalcement for
> the D100.

Canon switched from the FD mount to the EF mount over 15 years ago, to
accommodate the AF motors, and move to electromagnetic apertures (to get rid
of the mechanical pins). This is the last change I can remember, and I have
been shooting with Canon SLRs since about 1983 (I missed the FL to FD mount
change).

The new Canon EF-S mount only works with the 1:1.6 ratio sensor cameras like
the Rebel, and EOS 20D (not the EOS 1 Pro series with either 1:1 or 1:1.4
ratio sensors), so this is not a significant change--it is similar to Nikons
digital only lenses that do not work with Nikon film cameras. The old mount
is required to cover the larger sensors of the Pro digital and film cameras.

As for which brand do pros shoot, if you are curious about press/sports
photographers, watch news/sporting events, and check out the color of the
lenses. Canon makes their long telephotos in white, Nikon in black. Not sure
about other pro shooters, but at sporting events and press conferences on
TV, I usually see more white lenses than black ones (just my observation).

David