internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • Cc: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] digital cameras
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:50:18 -0500

Well, I'm no pro, that's for sure, but I am very interested in getting
a digital SLR body that I can buy lenses for - something that can
essentially expand/upgrade over time. It looks like the Canon and the
Nikon are both good choices, and both run about 1K retail right now,
give or take. Online reviews of the two give the Nikon a tiny edge in
the ones I've seen, but it seems clear both are good cameras. I am
going to try and find a place that has both and get a physical feeling
for both tonight. The Nikon D70 is apparently heavier and more
solidly built, which is a big attraction to me. Since I have no lens
investment in either Nikon (the lenses are Nikkor, I believe from what
I read, either D or G type) or Canon (EF or EF-S mounts, I believe
from what I have read) I'm really at liberty to pick here which one I
like better.

My thoughts on a starting package:

Camera and probably the default lens that comes with the "kit" package
- I think on the Canon that's an 18-55 and on the Nikon they have a
kit with something that goes to 70? Not sure.

CF memory card, probably one large one (1GB?) and maybe 1 or 2 small
ones (might purchase these later online)

Case for the camera to protect it

If I go with the Canon I'll take a look at the battery grip, but Nikon
has an edge here - I gather you can buy over the counter not too
expensive batteries that will work in a pinch, whereas the Canon has
no such alternative.

I think later I'll work on more lenses or other accessories (like a
separate flash unit)

Still researching.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this so far, by the way.

Lyman

--
". . . No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the
life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes