internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Erection (morality and law)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Erection (morality and law)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 15:42:49 -0500 (EST)

Alan MacHett wrote:
.:Michael Best wrote:

.:
.:> Is the public school system "left" or "right"? I don't know. But
.:> my general idea is that most laws are restrictive at least to some
.:> people. Let's look at the public school system again. Laws that
.:> forced racial integration of schools allowed blacks to attend
.:> schools they previously did not have access to. But it also
.:> restricted the ability of whites to choose to send their kids to
.:> an all white school.
.:>
.:
.:...??!
.:
.:I'm not even going to touch that.
.:

I will. Michael's trying to argue that the existence of public
education, and the fact that he pays taxes that fund public
education, restricts him to using public education. I call BULLSHIT.
Michael, Alan, and I all pay into the same public education funds with our
taxes. I don't know about the other two, but I don't have kids. So
there's no economic disincentive to keeping your kids out of the public
system; EVERYONE pays those taxes.

Back to the racial issue. If you want your kids to go to some
all-cracker school, and you want it badly enough, you can, like
everything else in this world, find some way to afford it. Stop whining,
trade the Lexus for a 15-year-old Honda, stop pouring your paycheck down
the Cable/Satellite TV drain. Presto, you can now afford to send your
kids to the KKK's Boarding School For Wayward White Kids Of Pudd'nHead
Parents.

This was a discussion of restrictive laws, and this example doesn't fit.
Racial integration did not make it illegal for anyone to send their kids
to an all {white,black,yellow,red,magenta,fuscia,cyan} school if they
wanted, or hell, STARTING one if they chose. It just said that the
government-provided public schools weren't going to be among those.

--S