internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Erection (morality and law)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Erection (morality and law)
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:48:16 -0500 (EST)

from Lee Haslup:
.:
.:Help me out here, Sil, I'm struggling. You said...
.:>
.:>I don't know about the other two, but I don't have kids. So
.:>there's no economic disincentive to keeping your kids out of the public
.:>system; EVERYONE pays those taxes.
.:>
.:>
.:Let's say, hypothetically, that "everyone" pays $4,000.00 a year to
.:support the public schools. (All numbers are made up here; I don't know
.:the actual figures but they wouldn't change the point -- just the
.:arithmatic.) Let's also say that the tuition at Mother Imelda's School
.:for Fidgetty Children is $7,500 a year per student. If Michael had two
.:children then it would cost him $19,000 to send his children to Mother
.:Imelda but only $4,000 to send them to the public schools.

Remember, "everyone" pays $4k per year. So effectively, Michael's kids
can go to public schools tuition-free. It's a tax, not tuition, and
Michael pays it just like his neighbors with no kids pay it.

It thus costs him only $15k to send them to the private school of his
choice -- funny, because at $7.5k per student, that's the yearly tuition
charged by the school. Don't try to add that $4k tax to the tuition and
call it unfair; it's not a tuition.

.:So, in terms of cash outlay -- ignoring the value of the education --
.:the difference is $15,000. Now, I may be overly sensitive to money but,
.:for me, $15k starts to get into incentive range. In fact, I'd be willing
.:to bet that if Donald Trump dropped $15,000 on the sidewalk, he's bend
.:over to pick it up.
.:

Ah. Yes, you seem to be overly sensitive to money. It's apparently a
common problem in this country. (Heck, once in a blue moon I even show
symptoms.) Pay your fair share and get over it. You don't like it,
start a letter-writing campaign to get the laws levying the $4k tax
changed.

--S