internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Erection (morality and law)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Erection (morality and law)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:14:37 -0500

On Nov 5, 2004, at 12:51 PM, Michael Best wrote:

I wanted to comment on "laws enforcing morality." It seems to me that most
laws, both from the right and left, are about morality--an idea of right and
proper behavior.

So you're scared of the "right" trying to force their morality on you. But
they're also scared of the "left" doing the same. Personally I'm scared of
both.

That's an interesting point of view. From the perspective of an American's United member, the evangelical Christians who helped Pres. Bush get re-elected believe that America is a Christian nation, and want to make the bible the basis of law just as Muslim fundamentalists want a government based on the Koran. We have a a situation where the "right" wants to force everyone to practice their religion and the "left" wants everyone to be free to practice whatever religion they choose, or none at all, just like the constitution intended.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC