internetworkers - [internetworkers] Don't apologize for me, arrogant-R-us

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rua AT mindspring.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Don't apologize for me, arrogant-R-us
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:05:47 -0500 (EST)

Regarding the promotion of "sorryeverybody", and the author's line:

"And we'll say we're sorry, even on the behalf of the ones who aren't."

If anyone knows the author of sorryeverybody, please tell him not make any
apology or statement of any kind on my behalf. Nobody likes arrogance, but my
distaste for hypocrisy is ten times stronger. Liberal arrogance is perhaps
the most self-defeating characteristic of the left, and I pray the party
cures that poison before they become irrelevant.

His promise to apologize "for" me epitomizes why the left keeps losing
ground, and why many of them were 'shocked' at the election results.
Obviously he doesn't need, or even want my permission to apologize, because
in his wisdom I am too stupid, and he must make that decision for me whether
I understand it or not. Unbelievable. This is so patently unAmerican,
anti-1person-1voice, that I cannot understand how others cannot see the
danger. Many of the democratic party, at least the vocal media, celebs, and
pundits, do not seem to understand how arrogant and elitist they are. Here
are a few other quotes post-election from truthout.org:

"I'm saddened by what I feel is the obtuseness and shortsightedness of a good
part of the country - the heartland," Dr. Joseph said. "This kind of redneck,
shoot-from-the-hip mentality..." -[and I'm saddened and disgusted with the
elitist's assumption that they cannot be wrong, and thus all opposition MUST
be ignorant slobs. It continutes to push many thinking people away from the
left. I refuse to assist a party that looks down at such a large majority of
the citizens of this country. It turns my stomach as much as those looking
down on a particular race or etchnicity.

"New Yorkers are savvy," she said. "We have street smarts. Whereas people in
the Midwest are more influenced by what their friends say." -[in other words,
"we are smart, they are stupid hicks." I would wonder how people so smart and
savvy had no inkling that they would lose the pop vote, ground in senate and
house, and the leading dem senator, but I realize it is a closed society that
keeps telling themselves they are so smart]

"People who are more competitive and proficient at what they do tend to
gravitate toward cities," he said.
-[obviously, the city slickers know best what is good for the fly-over
states, so the dumb hicks should just stick to farming and let the two coasts
run the country.]

Wake up left, and start listening to your fellow citizens, instead of
vilifying them. I care about you, and voted with you for 20 years. I did not
vote for Bush this year, but there is no way I can condone the behavior of
the left enough to help. I went third party, just to register my opposition
to arrogance and ignorance on both sides.

Regarding the following Blandus blog quote, I would add "and it cost you the
election":
"Conservatives think Liberals are wrong. Liberals think Conservatives are
stupid. There is a big difference between wrong and stupid. Wrong implies an
understanding of argument and willingness to acknowledge different points of
view. Stupid implies an elitist arrogance that is at times comic and sad and
at others subversive and dangerous. "

I don't post all this to anger or trouble, but to suggest the need to find
new voices and vision for your party. There are many influential, powerful,
intelligent achievers across the country's midwest that will take offense at
the accusation of backwardness, made simply because they disagree on policy
or live in a small town.