internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] from the desk of Arianna Huffington

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] from the desk of Arianna Huffington
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:42:35 -0400

Tony Spencer wrote:
I'm hiring my first employees for my fledgling company as we speak.

Congratulations, Tony! That is a huge step.

Its
exciting for me to contribute to someone's salary and are my employees are
being screwed? Absolutely not.

This is the interesting thing about Capitalism. Marx is correct here, Tony is hiring someone because he can make more money from their labor than he is paying them. Extracting value. But he is paying a fair wage? Ostensibly yes, according to the market. Question is, is the market wage distorted by a) oversupply of labor ("jobless recovery") or b) Tony's unfair bargaining power? I can't answer the first, I think the answer to the second is negative. This is why small business is the foundation of our economy.

OTOH, does Wal-mart pay its "associates" a fair wage? Let's see, Wal-Mart employs more people than the population of some sovereign nations or U.S. states. But only one Wal-mart store has a collective bargaining agreement.

Oh wait, I said I'd go to bed.

TaB