internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] from the desk of Arianna Huffington

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] from the desk of Arianna Huffington
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:07:34 -0400

On Jul 22, 2004, at 12:48 AM, Tony Spencer wrote:

Jobless recovery? Nonsense. We are at the lowest unemployement rate in 4
years:
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news? pid=10000103&sid=aE_tiJ8kecXY&refer=us

The general unemployment rate doesn't really matter, unless we're planning on switching from our chosen fields. The unemployment rate for EE's is up 46% in 2004 over 2003:

http://www.ieeeusa.org/releases/2004/022604pr.html

"The quarterly unemployment rate for computer hardware engineers jumped dramatically from 6.9 to 9.0 percent, and averaged 7.0 for 2003. Computer software engineers saw their jobless rate fall slightly from 4.6 to 4.5 percent (5.2 for 2003); and computer programmers experienced a drop from 7.1 to 4.6 percent (6.4 for the year). The rate for aerospace engineers rose a percentage point to 5.0 percent, and finished at 4.8 percent for the year."

The good news is the unemployment rate for computer programmers is down, but unfortunately there's no way of knowing if that's simply because they couldn't find work and switched careers.

--Michael (BSEE '87)

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC