internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Digital video?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Digital video?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:56:04 -0500

On Tuesday, Mar 9, 2004, at 20:18 US/Eastern, Sil Greene wrote:

Reported 04.03.09 20:04 from James Dasher:
.:
.:If you want more than your basic point-and-shoot with minimal zoon, I'd
.:recommend saving your pennies and buying a digital body that will work
.:with your SLR lenses - a Canon (the new Digital Rebel is now under
.:$1000) if you use Canon/Sigma lenses, a Nikon for the Nikon/Nikkor (the
.:Nikon body is tres expensive, IIRC), etc.

In this same vein, if you care about your image quality, make sure your
camera allows you to turn any Digital Zoom feature *OFF*. Digital zoom is
pointless; Optical Zoom, using real lenses (like the ones for your SLR),
is the only thing you want to use.

Sil's absolutely right. On many cameras, setting the image resolution to the highest level eliminates the camera's ability to zoom digitally, but still, optical zoom doesn't distort your image so much.

If you want proof, consider that Digital Zoom is done in software (or
occasionally hardware -- circuitry -- which can be just as buggy as
software, with the advantage of being harder to patch). Ask yourself how
often your commercial software works as advertised, every time.

Optical zooms don't have that problem. :)

To go off on a related tangent: One problem optical zooms *do* have, though, is that camera and lens manufacturers haven't really begun to modify the lenses for digital photography. As a result, whether you use a point-and-shoot or digital SLR, digital prints always look - well, *digital*. No matter how great the image resolution, You can almost always tell a digital print from a film print.

Regards -
James

PS I think I've hit my posting quota for the month - and made up for some of the slack over the past few, too.