internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Digital video?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Digital video?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:22:03 -0500

On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 04:48 PM, Parker, David X wrote:

Attention smart people, full of advice:

I really want a digital camera. I could also use a video camera. I'm
thinking I could get the best of both worlds with a digital video camera,
where I could take video of everything and if I want to send photos to
family I can just capture stills off the video.

If I were looking at digital cameras, this is what I would buy:

http://exilim.casio.com/z4umodel.htm

all of the Casio Exilim's are nice, but that one has it all. also in this market is the Pentax Optio S4. very nice. NOTE: most of these cameras now have video /with/ audio and most function as an MP3 player (some rely on Windows software - beware).

If you needed to add video capabilities to this mix, i would totally buy this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VRUXegYq4xF/cgi-bin/ ProdView.asp?s=0&c=8&g=121300&I=133SVAV20&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VRUXegYq4xF/cgi-bin/ ProdView.asp?s=0&c=8&g=121300&I=133SVAV30&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

my emphasis is on fun and portability. if you don't want to carry it, you won't use it. if it ain't fun, you ain't gonna want to play with it. and unless you are planning on doing professional work, you probably won't need much more.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of digital video? How does a digital
video camera compare in quality to a still digital camera?

Thanks in advance,

- Dave P.