internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Digital video?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Digital video?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:04:43 -0500

I just got a Sony DSC P32 - I think they stopped making it, and only make the -52 and -72, and perhaps a -92. At any rate, it's a compact camera that shoots up to 3.2 megapixels. Size only matters depending on how you want to use it. (Yes, go ahead and have fun with that sentence....)

To print anything larger than a 6x4, or *maybe* a 5x7, you need to shoot multiple megapixels. For a primer on how DPI and pixel counts relate to image size and resolution, you could STFW. (I mean that in the nicest sense. Truly, if you need some links, I have a few to some *very* useful sites stored somewhere, and would be happy to hunt them down.)

If you want more than your basic point-and-shoot with minimal zoon, I'd recommend saving your pennies and buying a digital body that will work with your SLR lenses - a Canon (the new Digital Rebel is now under $1000) if you use Canon/Sigma lenses, a Nikon for the Nikon/Nikkor (the Nikon body is tres expensive, IIRC), etc.

A caveat: Flash memory is fast approaching its limits (well, if by "fast" you mean "in the next 2-to-4 years"). I'm in something of a quandry, since I have a Canon SLR and multiple lenses, but Canon uses Flash.

If you really want more details, I can go on at length. I worked for a couple months at a camera store over Christmas, so I've refamiliarized myself with all this stuff. Of course, this is INW, so I'm laying very long odds that nobody knows more than I do.

Perhaps this message will spark the next contribution.