internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:19:39 -0500

MCW wrote:

As more of a traditionalist than a rationalist..

I think this pretty much sums it up. While you may be proud of your label, many of us understand that much oppression in history has been protected because it was believed to be part of a traditional way of life. Progressive societal changes, such as a growing distaste for racism or acceptance of women in the workforce, have always dragged along those who label themselves as traditional.

True enough, I suppose, there have clearly been a number of mossbacks, Luddites and reactionaries of all stripes who called themselves "Traditionalists." But we have just finished a century in which millions of people were killed because they stood in the way of the latest theory of "Social Progress" so there is reason to suppose that the "Rationalist" camp is not without its vices. It is hyperbole, to be sure, to equate American "Liberalism" with support for the Gulags, but it is also hyperbole to suggest that anyone who questions the wisdom of calling gay partnerships "Marriages" is a racist or a subjugator of women.

For an interesting read on what I mean by the word "Rationalism" see an excellent essay on Eric Voegelin and Michael Oakeshott by Elizabeth Corey, available at
http://www.artsci.lsu.edu/voegelin/EVS/Panel22002.htm

BigLee