internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] back to important issues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: micah <phorque AT schizoid.com>
  • To: jim AT neuse.net, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: thomas AT tbeckett.com
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] back to important issues
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:51:48 -0500 (EST)

I was under the impression that single barrel was more commonly used to
describe bourbon. (along with "barrel proof"). i think you'd call a
scotch "single cask" and bottled at "cask strength".

The bit about a single malt is because scotch blendcs are quite common
(blends of different batches, different types, etc) whereas other
whiskies, like straight bourbon and straight rye must all be made from
whiskey from the same distillery, and from the same mashbill.

Barrels from different years can be vatted (symantic, barrels are blended,
but vatting refers to the same stuff from different years, whereas
blending means different whiskies or even grain alcohol).

and to completely blow off topic; of the single barrel bourbons,
Blanton's, Booker's, and Eagle Rare (10 year) are my current favorites,
though the similarities between Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek (All Jim
Beam bourbons) can make the $50 price tag on Booker's seem a bit much.

Too bad you have to leave the state for any rye other than Jim Beam's
yellow label.

[endofline]**
On Now: []
--[micah] ##[http://fork.schizoid.com/]