internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: SPAM the SPAMMERS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Manning <jmm AT sublogic.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: SPAM the SPAMMERS
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:31:46 -0500

> I use RFC 2919/2368 headers on my list - no C/R system should /ever/
> respond to a message with such headers; at best, it should build a
> whitelist of known legit mailing lists and avoid them. As for whether
> a spammer can get around it - all the message needs is a legit email
> for the reply-to, and ten minutes with perl to work around C/R. Give
> the spammers a few months, if they haven't already determined ways to
> work around the more popular systems.

That's the main reason I like SPF records, it moves the problem-space
over to DNS, which is still a viable attack vector, but raises the
effort level to much higher values and should put it about the
risk/reward threshold that keeps spam a viable economic activity.

http://spf.pobox.com/

So, whatcha think about SPF records, Steve?
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7 9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4