internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Re: SPAM the SPAMMERS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Re: SPAM the SPAMMERS
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:00:06 -0500

Steve Champeon took a break from fighting spam to write:

> > I've also watching early implementations of Challenged Response. I
> > think that could also be very helpful in eliminating spam.
>
> Yuck. C/R, for anyone who runs a mailing list, is a bane. I unsub
> anyone using C/R whose systems are too stupid to know when they're
> receiving mail sent via a legit mailing list. I sincerely hope it
> doesn't come into wider use, or that if it does, it gets a hell of a
> lot better than the systems I've seen...

I think the problem is with the users. I've tried it and you can
configure it allow the list address to email you before subscribing to
the list. I do agree that it still needs to be improved before being
widely adopted, but you have to agree that it is impossible for a
spammer to get around when implemented.