internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: SPAM the SPAMMERS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: SPAM the SPAMMERS
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:29:49 -0500

On Nov 18, 2003, at 2:04 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:47:59PM -0500, Sil Greene wrote:

Jeez. You guys are a little hung up on technicalities.

You'll forgive me for being hung up on technicalities. Spammers waste far
too much of my time as it is - I don't need naive antispammers wasting even
more of my time and resources out of ignorance, even benign ignorance.

The last time we were joe jobbed, we got 27K bounces and a few hundred
people replying to the spam (sent with forged envelope sender of a
nonexistent address in our domain). Replying to spam is stupid.

Personally, I don't know /what/ to do about spam. I mean, I get a lot of it, but I try not to let that bother me and simply hit 'delete' a lot. Thankfully, I don't have to run any mail servers and don't see these problems on a daily basis.

However, I have discovered something recently and was wondering what the resident Spam experts think of this tool/method. It is called WPoison and it creates random pages of junk addresses and junk links. The idea is to send those automated web scanners into a fitful loop and pollute their "valid email address" lists with a bunch of junk. Effective? Fair? Worthwhile?

These are all questions a Spam Jedi must ask.

http://www.monkeys.com/wpoison/

dave m.