internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Call your Rep. now to oppose S.877 - "CAN SPAM"act

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Call your Rep. now to oppose S.877 - "CAN SPAM"act
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:52:52 -0500

on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:33:51PM -0500, Sil Greene wrote:
> Instead of ignoring spam, reply to it -- in droves.

Dear God, no. Most of the spam I see has a forged sender. I know this,
because I already receive the bounces from aol and other recipients, from
mail that's forged to look like it comes from one of our domains. So, your
little reply to scheme (which has been proposed before, many times, by
people who don't seem to know anything about spam) will only cost /me/
and other mail admins money and time and hassle, as we have to try to
decide whether you're worth educating or not.

The only solution to spam is to lock up the spammers, after starving their
resources, escalating their costs, and doing everything in your power /not/
to accept the spam in the first place. Anything else is naive or pointless.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier