internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Call your Rep. now to oppose S.877 - "CAN SPAM"act

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Call your Rep. now to oppose S.877 - "CAN SPAM"act
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:35:24 -0500 (EST)

That would work, but only against direct email marketing -- those we might
call "legitimate" spam. The problem is that the "illegitimate" spammers
are not using valid reply-to or direct return-path addresses. We already
see this problem with all the poor folks whose legitimate email addresses
were used as illegitimate reply-to addresses in countless spam and who
subsequently get inundated by all the angry spamees. Not to mention that
those same spammers aren't particularly worried about reply messages
anyway. They bounce from host to host in order to continue their assault,
leaving some mail admin to clean up the mess.

Now, if your macro could extract or build addresses for the companies on
whose behalf the spam are being sent, then, yeah, those companies will
give up on bulk email, eventually putting spammers out of business.

--Alan