internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:01:12 -0500

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 11:59 AM, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:
Personally I don't like the way Southern Village is laid out. I don't like how the road in
surrounds that massive open area and seperates it from the houses (Correct
me if I'm wrong, I've only been there once, a while ago, at night). I
think the houses should be built in a square around the green area, and
cars should be on the outside. And it needs some nice land scaping.

Maybe you were there a while back? The parks are integrated into and among the houses. The open space consists of:

1. Village Green on Market St.
2. 4 small parks with equipment for kids
3. Soccer field & sand volleyball court
4. Public gardens
5. Soccer field behind Scrogg's Elementary School

You're never more than a couple of small blocks from a park. I do like the one large green area concept too, as it gives you a lot of land to run, which the smaller parks can't give. On the downside everyone would have to walk farther to get to a larger park. The city does have plans to turn the 80 acres directly south of SV into a large park, which would fill in that gap.

Also, good points about the relationship between the automobile and suburban land use. I have a picture of my grandparent's house which was built 150 years ago. The picture is about 100 years old, and you can clearly see the light rail system that connected all of the towns in those days.

Mixing replies again: