internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Diane M. Kurilecz" <d.m.kurilecz AT ieee.org>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:59:02 -0500

Southern Village is a suburban version of the neighborhood where I grew
up in Yonkers, NY. Within a one block radius of my apartment, we had:
- A public park, one entrance right on our dead end;
- Lake Avenue, with many shops (with apartments above) -- a small
grocery, two bars, a sandwich shop, a post office, a laundry, a dry
cleaners, a small five-and-ten, a barbershop, a beauty parlor, a bakery,
the local Democratic Ward office (which held many parties), a pizzeria,
and more.
- Lake Avenue was also the starting point for the Yonkers Marathon,
which was the toughest marathon in the nation and a training ground for
the better-known New York and Boston marathons (they've changed the
route, though).
- Lake Avenue was the starting point for all the local parades, held on
each major holiday; everyone participated by walking the route.
- The Catholic church, monastary, convent, grade school, high school,
and fields (where we held fairs and special events)
- The public high school.
- The local police station.
- The local fire house (we played on the equipment, and the firemen
showed us how to use the poles).
- A bus stop, which my father used to take to work.
- There was a mix of housing -- our (typical) nine-unit four-story
walk-up apartment house, several others like it, one huge (30 unit?)
apartment house, many single family homes. Most of the single-family
homes in my neighborhood were modest, middle-income homes, but just a
few blocks away was North Broadway, where the homes were huge and often
had swimming pools.

I loved that neighborhood when I was a child. The only important thing
we were missing was a library. Mom, of course, would drive us there
once a week (three times a week in the summer). We could also walk or
bike or take the bus two or three miles to get to one of several
libraries. Yonkers also had several museums and a planetarium within
reach of us children. We walked, biked, and rose the bus all over town
(mostly the northwest section of the city).

***diane

--
Diane M. Kurilecz d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org
Readercon http://readercon.org/