internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kristen James Eberlein" <kristeneberlein AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:48:00 -0500

Southern Village sounds nice. But I need to toot the horn for my
neighborhood: Old North Durham.

1. Walking distance of the Saturday Durham Farmer's Market at the Old Durham
Athletic Park.
2. Beautiful mélange of architectural styles: Victorian, Craftsman, Colonial
Revival, Southern vernacular, and more.
3. Very active neighborhood association: monthly potlucks, newsletter, and
quarterly (warm-weather) potlucks for *just* my block.
4. Racially and economically diverse. My block has a great mix of
heterosexual and gay couples, as well as single folk.
5. Beautiful willow oaks covering the street (I still like them, even though
the fallen branches killed my car in the ice storm.)
6. Within a mile of the Durham YMCA, Arts Council, Armory, Man Bites Dog,
Scrap Exchange, Durham Central Park, and Carolina Theater
7. Close (1-3 mile) to the Durham Food Coop, Brightleaf Square, 9th Street,
Wellspring, Durham Public Library ...

It's not for everyone. Yes, I hear gunshots and a neighbor recently had her
car stolen. But I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else :)

K.