internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:18:32 -0500

At 11:47 AM 1/7/2003 -0500, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:

[...] Cars breed sprawl growth.

Cars + low fuel costs + highly subsidized roads + abundant parking + busy lives + a love of privacy breed sprawl growth.

I just spent two weeks in Japan, where excellent mass transit, dense pockets of population, and a lack of zoning creates a New Urbanist's dream. I'm so glad I don't live there! I agree with Gina -- give me *some* space. And knowing your neighbors doesn't mean you'll like them. Go watch "American Beauty" if you think this is the case. Or just think about what it would be like to *live* next to that really annoying person at work.

<wistful_aside>
Although a Shinkansen network here would be fabulous.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
</wistful_aside>

I've also lived in four different neighborhoods in Raleigh where you really could get by without a car, if you resigned yourself to taking a taxi once in awhile. All these neighborhoods had many of the qualities sought by the utopians (a range of housing costs, local stores and services, parks, nearby mass transit, etc.). My personal circumstances ranged from "starving student" to "fine, thank you." You don't need to be well-off to live in places like these; in fact, poverty can force you into them.

On the other hand, the vast majority of my current neighbors never walk to the Wellspring or the other shops in the Ridgewood Shopping Center, three pleasant blocks away. Many of these same neighbors *do* walk for exercise. But we're not isolated from each other. We have a neighborhood book club and lots of social events, including a Christmas party and a Super Bowl party.

... Linda