internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:48:52 -0500

On Monday 06 January 2003 10:0722pm, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:

> I'm a proponent of New Urbanism, and I live in Southern Village
> because its the best example of this type of development in the
> Triangle. The neighborhood is within the city limits of Chapel Hill,
> and only a few minutes drive from Carrboro, where I do most of the
> shopping outside of Market Street. We would have liked to live in a
> pre-WWII older neighborhood which New Urbanism seeks to reproduce,
> but the high demand has driven the prices higher than we can afford,
> which in itself is a big indication there's a marked unmet demand for
> this type of living environment.

> The best book I've found on New Urbanism so far is:

> Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American
> Dream
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0865475571/103-4363544-2833441

> The emphasis of this book is that all of the reasons that people site
> for wanting a suburban tract home are in fact not met with that
> growth pattern, but could be met with growth along a New Urbanism
> model.
>
> I could ramble at this point, but perhaps its better to simply list
> the basic principles:
>
> THE PRINCIPLES OF NEW URBANISM (Stolen from newurbanism.org)

> 1. WALKABILITY

> 2. CONNECTIVITY

> 3. MIXED-USE & DIVERSITY

> 4. MIXED HOUSING

> 5. QUALITY ARCHITECTURE & URBAN DESIGN

> 6. TRADITIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD STRUCTURE

> 7. INCREASED DENSITY

> 8. SMART TRANSPORTATION

> 9. SUSTAINABILITY

> 10. QUALITY OF LIFE

This sounds to me like the Europe I know (Andorra, Belgium, France,
Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, UK ). Maybe this is why people drink
more wine, eat more cheese and enjoy more chocolate and nice beer.

Mmmm.

It took 2000+ years to Europe to get to this ideal, with waaaaaay too
many bloody wars. The US is getting there, in a 10th of the time and
just one war!

I call this evolution.

There are already good wine lands in the US. You can get nice chocolate
and beer too. So, where's America's Roquefort? It has to be somewhere
out there or just about to be invented...

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep Lluis Guallar-Esteve http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/