internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Art/Craft Work (Was ?s about Salary)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Art/Craft Work (Was ?s about Salary)
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 23:13:16 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:

Where do I go to learn enough basic woodworking to build shelves into a pantry?

Why, Internetworkers, of course! As Thos., Esq., pointed out, I used to
be (sort of) engaged in the carpenters' trade myself at one point. Roger
will, no doubt, quail at the crudity of these instructions, but if you
want to build yourself some quick closet/pantry shelves, here's how it's
done in the finer "starter homes" of Wake County by underemployed
liberal arts grads swinging hammers for beer money. Or, this is how I
used to do it, anyway. Back in the Day.

Wow, go to the ballet and come home to a tome on closet shelving construction. Steve really got wound up and/or can type really fast. That was an excellent version of what I would have done, but I couldn't have put it in words as well as Steve. That's what happens when you get a techie degree instead of a liberal arts degree. Well done Steve...
One item to mention about shelves. They make some shelving that is pretty cheap and doesn't warp that is probably cheaper than the pine shelving boards. You might look at the home centers to see since it is covered with melamine and clean up easily.
I hope we get a photo of the shelves some day or a blog of the progress. BTW, Clowns by the Carolina Ballet was pretty good. Tonight was opening night and they weren't perfect, but worth the trouble.
Later, Roger (in Raleigh)