internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:50:35 -0400

Agreed. The most depressing sight I saw in the last year was the conjunction
of 9/11 flags and speeches everywhere and NO ONE ELSE (other than the
workers) at the polling place on 9/10 to vote in the primary election.
Primaries are where voters have the most power! That's where we have a
chance to select a candidate that really represents us. Of course, only a
few of the candidates I supported won...but at least I tried.

Now, I've been writing our Sen. John Edwards asking him please not to give
the President the power to be his stupid self in regards to war, and it truly
scares me to see what a hawk Edwards is. Has anyone read his position papers?
http://edwards.senate.gov/press/2002/columns/09_iraq.html

I've also been writing to my congressman (Price), who is much more
circumspect.

Still and all, I'm not sure what to say about going to war, except that I
think it's 1) a bad idea, 2) certainly a bad idea without international
support, and may even be illegal, and 3) it seems to be an emotional (let's
stomp out EVIL! He tried to kill my DADDY!) response rather than a reasoned
response.

This is a great discussion. I've learned some interesting things (thanks,
Josep!). Sorry my response is not particularly erudite. :)

Diana