internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Eric Wolfram <ewolfram AT infinex.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:04:56 -0700

At 01:57 PM 10/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Rowland Smith wrote:
>->We used to have a system of "one man, one vote", now it's "one million
>->dollers, one vote", and I'm a wee bit short on cash.
>
>Oh come now, economic power has always meant political power. Of course,
>having a dick helps, too, most of the time. But I'm still of the mind that
>if you don't vote, you can't bitch. Sorry.

If
economic power = political power
THEN
spending money = voting

Please indulge the thought for a moment. Follow the cash. George the II, as
I like to call him, is from one of the richest families on the globe. They
made their money by selling us the oil we use. We helped them create the
wealth that bought his family power when we chose to live in suburbs, when
we chose to buy SUVs, and when everything we own is brought to us in
trucks. Like it or not, everyone in America voted for Bush, just by living
the American way. Even if you live on a farm and don't drive, your loved
ones and friends drive -- they are not as enlightened as you.

So a political vote is an afterthought. Whoever is elected is mandated to
protect our way of life. It is that simple. We demand cheep oil, and we
demand on a presence in the middle east to maintain our way of life -- like
it or not -- we are the problem. I have seen the enemy, and it is us.

Have a wonderful day,
Eric (delurk -- more then you ever want to know about me is on my website)
Wolfram
http://wolfram.org/