internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:55:58 -0400

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 01:29 pm, you wrote:
> heh. and this is exactly the problem that has been so disturbing to me.
>
> all these tech-savvy, broadly-educated, supposedly egalitarian folks
> worldwide and no one can make a definitive statement on anything. so,
> where is this discussion going to take place? do you host a weekly
> conversational salon in your home for these issues? are there a lot of
> attendees?
>
> what is everyone so afraid of?
>
> are you afraid of being wrong?
> are you afraid Ashcroft (John, this time) is monitoring this list and
> will detain all those with "Anti-American sentiment"?

John Ashcroft is the most dangerous man on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

> *or* are you more afraid that what you think does not matter?
> perhaps your feelings of ambivalence towards the governing of this
> country have grown so swollen that you choose to not think or say
> anything?

I have a deep feeling of frustration with the current state of politics in
America. The federal government has become such a huge, lumbering behemoth (
"slouching toward Bethlehem"? ) that personally I don't see how it can be
changed without coming damn close to armed insurrection.

> 'cause from where i am sitting, that is all i can see.
>
> my vote does not count.

We used to have a system of "one man, one vote", now it's "one million
dollers, one vote", and I'm a wee bit short on cash.

> my voice goes unheard.

Only because I haven't been saying anything - "what we have here is a
failure to communicate politically" :)

> my thoughts are irrelevant.

They are definitely irrelevant if I don't say anything - so I guess I better
start talking ;)

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/